CHEESE BREAD STICKS




CHEESE BREAD STICKS
Served warm, these are soft, cheesy "bread" sticks. Nice with a glass of white wine.  They freeze really well, too, for about a month.  Nuke one approximately 15 seconds and enjoy as though it  was fresh out of the oven again.  Did you know oat flour is actually Paleo?  Yep, 32,000 years ago they were grinding oats into flour: CLICK HERE for the article.   I used to be afraid of grains when I began low-carbing, but after many years (since 1999), I discovered that oat flour, in particular, does not affect my weight, however, these days I am a moderate low-carber.  Since I am hypothyroid, I need more carbs than 20 grams to keep my metabolism from tanking too much.  The conversion from FT4 to FT3 is adversely affected when I go too low in carbs, besides the fact that I seem to get terribly dehydrated easily.  So, for me, if I want to lose weight and I'm serious...I typically stay around 50 grams of carbs a day and I skip breakfast or supper, depending.  That works for me.  Everyone is different and I have also come to realize that.  What works for one person does not necessarily work for another!  

6 oz  cream cheese, (180 g)
  softened
2 extra-large eggs
6 oz grated Cheddar cheese (180 g)
3 oz grated Parmesan cheese (canned variety) (90 g)
3 tbsp whey protein powder, (90 mL)
  (natural or vanilla)
1/cup gluten-free oat flour, OR this one (75 mL)
1/tsp paprika (1 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).  In food processor with sharp blade or blender, process cream cheese until smooth.  Add eggs; process. Add Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, whey protein powder, oat flour and paprika; process.

Turn out into greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) glass baking dish and press down evenly, using plastic wrap, to make things easier. Remove plastic wrap. Bake in oven 20 minutes, or until turning golden brown at edges and when it is firm to the touch.  From long side of dish, cut into 14 sticks and cut down center of dish horizontally.  Serve warm.  Refrigerate leftovers and reheat Cheese “Bread” Sticks in microwave oven about 15 seconds.


Yield:  28 servings

1 serving

70.2 calories

4.4 g protein

5.3 g fat

1.1 g carbs



For other great Low-Carb, Gluten-Free recipes by the team & me:

Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 


http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!  Volume 4 is FREE with a purchase!