ALMOND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES





ALMOND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
These cookies are chunky, substantial cookies.  You can increase the almond extract, if desired.  The amount used is barely perceptible in the cookies. For me chocolate chip cookies spell comfort food.  I can only have one or two, as the chocolate catches me (migraines), but it's good to be able to do that even.  I'll take it!  Anyway it's certainly will power built in.  There seem to be fifty million different types of chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, but most people when they think of these cookies, they probably think Toll House Cookies or Hershey's Cookies...there are just a ton more than that.  Same could be said for low-carb chocolate chip cookies.  They are almost as prolific as low-carb pancakes!  That said, "Who would like a chocolate chip cookie?"  Some people like milk with cookies (Try this one: Carolyn's Low-Carb Milk).  Goodness knows where that tradition came from?  I certainly didn't grow up with that concept, nor did I ever have homemade cookies...just store bought occasionally.  I wasn't allowed to create in the kitchen as a child or teenager.  My prowess in the kitchen was dismal when I married Ian.  He had to teach me to make hot dogs even.  It was bad! LOL  To my credit, I taught myself to cook and even Chinese cooking, which Ian loved.  I often packed him a Chinese lunch for work.  Chinese cooking is a lot of work though.  However, that said, I had to follow recipes exactly and was not very adventurous in changing up a recipe.  Ian would always tell me to change this or that, and I would insist on sticking to the recipe.  Weird that, considering my career about 15 years later!  As a result, I think my gift is a gift from God to help others on their special diets.  I always used to pray that God would use me to help others.  I quit praying that prayer once I started writing my cookbooks. ;)

UPDATE:  If you suffer from migraines as I did for many years and was not able to enjoy chocolate.  After many more years that extended to several more foods like frozen strawberries, certain cheeses such as Swiss cheese, soy sauce, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, MSG (still sensitive to this), caramel colors in foods and a number of other things I forget at this very moment....some nuts such as cashews, pecans, walnuts, sesame seeds, etc.  You can see my diet was becoming more restricted until I discovered that I was low in magnesium!  Now I take 400 mg a day and I sleep better, have less anxiety and once again I can eat chocolate almost with abandon and no fear of getting a migraine.  I changed nothing else but that.  Having enough magnesium also protects against osteoporosis.  So, not a bad thing all round.  Check with your doctor, of course, but this is what worked for me.


2 eggs
1 cup butter, softened (250 mL)
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 11/2  cups sugar (375 mL)
1/3  cup granulated erythritol (75 mL)
2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
1/2  tsp almond extract (2 mL)
1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
1/8  tsp salt (0.5 mL)
2 cups sugar-free chocolate chips (500 mL)
1 cup chopped almonds (250 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). 

In food processor, process eggs.  Add butter, liquid sweetener, erythritol, vanilla and almond extracts.  In large bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, OR Alternative, baking soda and salt.  Add to wet ingredients; process.  Stir in chocolate chips and almonds.

Place heaping tablespoonfuls on parchment-lined baking sheets.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden-brown underneath.

Helpful Hint:  To help parchment paper adhere to baking sheets, first spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Yield:  52 cookies
1 cookie
113.0 calories
2.3 g protein
9.1 g fat
2.0 g net carbs

Low-Carbing Among Friends makes money through affiliate partner links; if you click on a link, we may earn a commission.  Also we may earn from qualifying purchases made on Amazon.com