FAUX POTATO BITES






Chayote Squash  (see some alternatives in the ingredient listing). These are available year-round in Panama.  We love them for many substitutes. They are so inexpensive in Central and South America.  They also make a great sub for "scalloped potatoes".  Also, try these "potato latkes" which we really enjoy.  For a dessert, try my Low-Carb "Apple" Crumble.


FAUX POTATO BITES

I need superlatives to describe this recipe! Awesome!! It is going to be a staple in our household for sure!  Even non low-carbers will love it!  The texture is lovely.  I was rather surprised by this recipe.  It makes such an interesting side, that I'm sure it will spark conversation around the table.

10.5 oz peeled chayotes, finely grated, OR (300 g)
  (NOTE:  I have used zucchini successfully instead - click)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese (250 mL)
1/cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix 2, (125 mL)
  OR use 1/3 cup almond flour and 2 tbsp coconut flour
3 tbsp finely chopped onion (45 mL)
3 eggs
1/tsp onion salt (2 mL)
1/tsp salt (1 mL)
1/tsp black pepper (1 mL)
1/tsp garlic powder (1 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
2 tbsp grated Cheddar cheese (30 mL)

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). 

Using your hands, squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the grated chayotes as possible.

In large bowl, combine grated chayotes, 1 cup (250 mL) Cheddar cheese, Gluten-FreeBake Mix 2 and onion.

In small bowl, beat eggs with fork.  Add onion salt, salt, black pepper and garlic powder; beat to combine.  Stir into chayote mixture.  Place mixture in greased nonstick muffin tray.  Sprinkle tops with remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Cheddar cheese.  Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched.

Helpful Hint:  To make the recipe grain-free, use 5 to 6 tbsp (75 - 90 mL) almond flour and 2 tbsp(30 mL) coconut flour.

Variation:  Using Mozzarella Cheese (See PHOTOS below) - I also used a bit more on top than suggested...yum!  When I made them a second time, I forgot to squeeze the moisture out of the chayotes, so I let the mixture (I had mixed everything already) drip through colander briefly and then I stirred in 2 tbsp (30 mL) coconut flour to absorb excess moisture.  I baked them for 30 minutes instead of 25 minutes, switched off the oven and left them in there until I was almost ready to serve dinner.  I took them out 15 minutes before serving.  They firm up nicely when they come to almost room temperature.  They were perfect!  Good save! ;)  The "messed up "ones are pictured below.




Yield: 8 faux potato bites
1 potato bite
137.5 calories
8.0 g protein
9.8 g fat
1.2 g fiber
3.1 g net carbs

Support your team, buy Low-Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at: 

http://amongfriends.us/Jen.php (Paypal/Amazon) - SALE priced!  Volume 4 is FREE with a purchase!