EASY LOW-CARB CHEESE SAUCE



CHEESE SAUCE

Here is an easy recipe that is also very tasty.  I love to pour it over cooked broccoli or cauliflower for a delicious side dish.  You can double the recipe easily as well.  One thing about low-carbing is that tasty, creamy, rich sauces which enhance our food are definitely allowed.  How bland our low-fat diets were. Remember?  Most of us who are older have tried low-fat diets like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig.  The former was okay for weight loss for me (but I was always very hungry and could not wait for my next meal), but Jenny Craig was a disaster.  Jenny Craig just made me poorer - expensive and it did not work for me. True, I abused the diet as I loved their meal replacement bars, I think it was, which were like candy and probably not a truer word spoken.  The only other diet I ever tried was the "Eat all you Can Diet".  Yep, my family was in hysterics when I started that one.  I got a book in a yard sale or somewhere and it suggested that deprivation was making one eat more.  I came home with all the goodies I ever wanted to eat and had been avoiding because I thought they would make me fatter.  Haha!!  Needless to say a month into that diet and up 5 lbs, I had to admit defeat.  That was one of my most ding-batty ideas ever with regard to weight loss.  See weight loss has always been a bit of a struggle for me but maintaining my weight has always been a lot easier, so I should be happy about that at least. Now that I'm older I realize a bit of extra weight is actually more attractive than being too skinny.  Very skinny folks often look older because fat helps to plump up the skin and give a more youthful, dewy look.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  LOL


4 oz cream cheese (125 g)
3 tbsp butter (45 mL)
1/cup low-carb milk, almond milk OR (75 mL)
  whipping cream
1 tbsp water (15 mL)
1/4 tsp salt, OR to taste (1 mL)
1/8 tsp white pepper (0.5 mL)
2/cup shredded Monterey, OR Cheddar cheese  (150 mL)

In nonstick pan or pot, combine cream cheese, butter, low-carb milk, OR whipping cream, water, salt and white pepper.  Whisk occasionally.  Stir in Cheddar cheese until it melts and sauce is smooth.  Add extra water if necessary 1 tablespoon (15 mL) at a time.


Yield:  1 cup (250 mL)

2 tbsp (30 mL) per serving

125.2 calories

4.0 g protein

11.9 g fat
0.7 g net carbs